Monday, February 27, 2012

The Shop Is As Dirty As A Smithy. Must Be Making Purfling



Reducing Purfling to Thickness
Purfling is an 3-layered inlay that runs parallel to the edge of the violin.  While theories about about its acoustic properties, I believe it started out as a decorative component of the instrument.  Purfling provides a visual focus, reinforcing the outline of the body, and is a test of the skill and artistry of the maker.  This will become much clearer in future post when I actually purfle the cello.  But today is not about artistry, rather the skill involved in reducing wood into exceedingly thin sheets suitable for purfling.

 
Purfling Ready For Use
Purfling is made of three thin sheets of wood black-white-black like an ice cream sandwich.  They are glued up and sliced into thin strips which are inserted -on edge- into a groove cut into the instrument.  Many people are fascinated to learn that the black lines are not painted on.

I am making fresh purfling for the new crop of cellos out of some lovely fresh white poplar and pearwood dyed black.  (Pearwood is naturally a mocha color so it takes the black stain very well, using an ancient 3-step process I learned many years ago in Germany.)
Stradivari used these woods in his purfling and I like the historical touch even though it is not essential.  And they sure are pretty, especially the beautiful poplar I got from Dave at B&B Rare Woods in Golden, Colorado.  If you ever need some beautiful veneers, he's your man. 

Thicknessing the Pearwood
I suspect Dave must find it odd that I want the opposite of what every one of their other customers wants.  The plainest wood, with absolutely no figure or flame.  The photo shows why- I have to thin it up much more after it arrives.  This is pretty tricky as the wood becomes so thin that it can tear like paper. 


I scrape and plane down the black from about 30 thousandths of an inch (.030") to 18 thousandths.  For the sake of comparison, an average business card is 11 thousandths.  This job fills the shop with black shavings and makes such a tremendous mess that I will be finding this detritus for months around the shop.  It is as messy as a blacksmith's shop.


Checking the Thickness

Last time I did this job I splurged and bought a nice Starrett micrometer designed for this kind of work.  It gets a lot of use when I am doing this job and apart from making the job a lot easier, it is a beautiful piece of precision American engineering.  It gives me a good feeling to admire the hand work of others.  It is also gratifying to see proof of what we can accomplish in the country.

No comments: